Saturday 4 April 2015

5 Things No One Told You When You Bought A Horse



Owning a horse is great. Costly but great! It gives you something to do, you make new friends, you get into other sports, the list could go on and on. But here are five things people don't warn you about!


#1: Your body will slowly start to die on you! I'm 21 and yet my parents complain that I'm like an old woman as I constantly have a bad back, my knee will give way, my wrist is currently playing up rather badly but seeing as the last time I went to the doctors about it he told me not to ride for at least a week I don't think I'll complain too much!
6am lunging sessions

#2: If you don't work in the horse industry or you're still at school, people will think you're mental for getting up at 6am before work to sort your horse out in the dark and then try and find him again after work (again in the dark). And whilst everyone gets excited about snow - you're there absolutely detesting the idea earning a few 'spoil sport' looks as well!

#3: Weather apps are your new best friend. If anyone ever wants to know the weather - you're the best person for the job. You will become that geek that can tell people the weather forecast for the weekend when you're still only on Monday/Tuesday as well as giving an hour by hour run down!

#4: It's probably best to not look at your bank account! People always warn you that horses are costly but trust me, you never realise just how true that is! Plus there's all the extras you buy which probably aren't really needed but you can totally justify their expense/worth to any non-horsey person that asks!
3 browbands - really?!


#5: All that money that you do manage to save for things like a holiday/day trip/anything non-horsey will end up being spent on the horse when he/she kindly decides to suddenly need an emergency vet/farrier/new saddle! 

Any other things that you've discovered? Let me know!

Thanks for reading,
Laura xx

No comments:

Post a Comment