Sunday 1 February 2015

[Monthly Review] January 2015


Is it just me, or does January feel like it drags?! I don't know if it's the weather or the fact it follows Christmas so it's back to work/school/etc or what but I honestly feel like it's gone a bit slow! But then, in some ways it's gone fast. I started a new job at the beginning of the month and I can't believe I've already been there a month, though it feels like I've been there ages!

6am wake up calls aren't bad with this face waiting!
January started well with Pea. He was eager to work and was moving forward nicely, though a little too forward resulting him running and falling onto the forehand. However, there were times when he did some really nice work and would start to listen. I concentrated on doing some leg-yield and rein back to get him to pay a bit more attention as well as opening up a bit more allowing him to soften. I also did some pole work with him such as raised poles and trying some of the exercises from Your Horse (you can read that here). The second exercise didn't work so well as I hadn't set them out properly and he was more insistent on bouncing over each pole. His trot work has improved over the month, especially when he listens!

I have also been lunging him more this month, both with side reins on and without. You can see the difference when he doesn't have the side-reins on as before he would really fall in but now, although he's still not fully balanced, he's not as bad. He's also learning to argue less about the side reins and relaxes into them a lot quicker. 

If you've read my last post (this one here) then you will know that we've had a bit of a setback the past week or two as Pea seems to have become quite stiff behind and isn't happy working so he's had the past week off. He does have the physio on Tuesday (3rd Feb) so fingers crossed that will help him and he'll be back to how he was before! I also have a lesson booked next weekend so I'm hoping the physio goes well and we can get cracking on getting him to go better :) 

Thanks for reading,
Laura xx

No comments:

Post a Comment