Wednesday 2 January 2013

[Product Review] Kevin Bacon Hoof Dressing

I have done posts like this before on my old blog and so have decided to re-start them with the new year and share with you products that I have come across or used for a while that I love. 

The first is Kevin Bacon's Hoof Dressing:


This is a 'laurel balm for the care and protection of horse's hooves'. It is made from animal fat and laurel leaves, which probably explains why Paddy likes to have a lick from the tub when I use it! The website also states that the product does not merely give the hoof shine but also penetrates the horn, nourishing the hoof deep down, preventing the hoof wall from drying out and protecting against the wet as well as encouraging growth. 

I was first introduced to this product when Paddy's hooves were starting to crack and dry out. My then instructor suggested I use Kevin Bacon's as well as many others on my yard so I decided to try it out. I have to admit I do really like it and Paddy's hooves have improved no end! 

The only problem I really have with it is that in cold weather it can be virtually rock solid and in warm weather it goes really runny and has once leaked all over a grooming bag that I had! Also it can get full of mud from the brush I use but other than that it is definitely worth the £14 that it costs and has helped Pea's feet no end! I did stop using it for a few months as I ran out and never got round to getting a new tub and so Pea now has a crack in his hoof so lesson learnt and I've bought a new tub and hopefully get his feet back in good condition! 

It is also great to add to give a bit of shine before a competition :)

Do you have any good hoof products that you love to use? 

Loves, 
Laura & Pea x

No comments:

Post a Comment